One of the positive changes we are witnessing as a generation is that the world is becoming more and more inclusive of people from different communities. A tool that is playing a crucial role in empowering such communities is ASL video translation.
If you know of someone from the deaf or hard-of-hearing community, we are sure you must be aware of ASL and its impact. But don’t worry if you don’t know about ASL video translation.
That’s what we will explore and help you dive deep into the world of ASL video translation.
Understanding the ASL community
I am aware that a lot of you may not have enough knowledge about the ASL community. But worry not! Let’s solve the saga and get the basics before we delve into ASL video translation.
Just like any other translation, ASL also includes converting spoken and written language into American Sign Language. But don’t mistake ASL as just a translation language, as it includes various other aspects, complexity, and specifics to convey the desired message correctly.
Also, do not forget the language’s cultural nuances and impact to avoid gaps.
Benefits of ASL video translation
We all know if something exists in the world, it has value to offer, and ASL video translation is no different. It has multiple benefits.
Here are some of them:
- Inclusivity: Okay, imagine for a moment- as a specially-abled person, having access to content just like your friends.
Isn’t this empowering?
That’s how, with the help of ASL video translation, more and more people from the hard of hearing and deaf community can access the content, making it accessible to a broader audience.
- Expanded Audience Reach: What if you could reach a large and untapped market that your competitors are probably ignoring?
With the help of ASL video translation, you can tap into a vast yet untapped market of millions of deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals by accommodating their needs.
- Enhanced message clarity: Okay, let’s admit – we all hate jargon and fancy terms. We like to keep things simple. Isn’t it?
Similarly, with the help of ASL video translation, skilled interpreters can convey the message by breaking down complex topics and explaining jargon.
Leveraging ASL Video Translation for Social Media
Let me ask you a question: how many times have you purchased something you’ve seen on social media?
Many times, probably?
Social media is one of the most powerful tools for today, and with its help, incorporating ASL video translation can significantly expand your reach.
Here’s how to do it effectively:
- Leverage the existing ecosystem: Video content is on the rise. You can start leveraging the native ecosystem, like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc., to upload ASL-translated videos directly without the hassle of learning a new platform or tool.
- Include ASL in Live Streams: We all love watching our favorite creators go live and experience things in real time. Just imagine having an ASL interpreter on-screen during the broadcasts to make live streaming more inclusive. It will be a great addition to make.
- Promote ASL content: Hashtags are on the rise. You can use specific hashtags around ASL content to improve its discoverability and reach while finding the right target audience.
Best practices for creating ASL video translations
If you’ve ever tried creating an ASL or, for that matter, a normal video, I’m sure you will agree that it is an art and science. So, let’s discuss a few best practices when creating ASL video translations.
- Hire professional interpreters: Since ASL translation isn’t a language of common use, only a very limited set of people is aware of it. Hence, we will always insist you hire a professional interpreter to avoid miscommunication in your videos.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Let’s admit that every culture is different and has its own set of practices. The same is the case with the deaf and hard-of-hearing community. So, as an ASL video translator, you must consider cultural sensitivity.
- Clarity and Simplicity: Have you ever encountered people who speak quickly and how difficult it becomes to comprehend?
Integrating ASL Video Translation into Websites and Online Platforms
We hаve ԁisсusseԁ how viԁeo ASL trаnslаtion is сhаnging the gаme for the ASL community. But whаt if you саn exраnԁ your reасh further?
You саn ԁo so by integrаting ASL viԁeo trаnslаtions into your websites аnԁ other online рlаtforms. Let’s ԁisсuss a few of these:
- Viԁeo Hosting: You саn use ԁeԁiсаteԁ viԁeo hosting рlаtforms like YouTube or Vimeo to host your ASL-trаnslаteԁ viԁeos. Lаter, embeԁ these viԁeos on your website for seаmless viewing.
- Alt Text аnԁ Trаnsсriрts: You must ensure thаt you рroviԁe аlt text аnԁ trаnsсriрts for ASL viԁeos so thаt sсreen reаԁers саn сonvey the сontent to those with visuаl imраirments.
- User Feeԁbасk: Businesses аre built on feeԁbасk. You must сontinuously аsk for feeԁbасk from your ASL сommunity to keeр imрroving your website’s ассessibility. Continuously enhance your ASL content bаseԁ on their inрut.
By understanding the ASL video translation, we can tap into an untapped broader segment while bringing more inclusivity.
It’s our responsibility to use tools like soсiаl meԁiа with ASL viԁeo trаnslаtion to emрower the ԁeаf сommunity аnԁ hаrԁ-of-heаring сommunity. Also, you саn аmрlify your messаge аnԁ сonneсt with this аuԁienсe by following best рrасtiсes аnԁ integrаting ASL viԁeos into websites.
What are your thoughts about the same?
Subscribe to Jebiga for a dose of the best in gear, design, rides, tech and adventure.